Thursday, April 10, 2008

Pinwheels In My Pocket

As a child, I remember how much I appreciated each and every toy that came my way. I didn't have everything that I wanted but I'm sure that I did have more than many children. I have very few memories of expensive, fancy toys. Most of my toys were simple things like jump ropes, liquid bubbles, jacks, hula hoops and pinwheels.

I grew up in simpler times. A memory that I hold so vividly is playing house and dress up. A calabash aunt from across the street gave my sisters and me a bunch of old clothes and shoes that she had acquired from a friend. I remember how the clothes looked so "old" to me at the time, probably items from the 40's and 50's. We cherished them just as much as our favorite toys. We'd gather the neighborhood kids, dress up in our finery and play house for hours and hours each day. Pure and simple fun and great memories.



If you are wondering why I'm reflecting back, it is because memories of my childhood came flooding back to me as I assembled this wall pocket. I began reflecting on many things that I hadn't thought of in years. Who would have thought that making pinwheels would bring back so many happy memories.

My pictures are pretty dark because of the lack of sunlight due to heavy cloud coverage. If you click on the image to make them larger, you will be able to see the details much better.



I know this will not be my last pinwheel project since making them brings me so much joy.

I wish you all a memorable day.

Aloha!


***Don't forget to enter my giveaway. If you are new to my blog, please refer to my post of April 8 for the rules.***

13 comments:

Sue Cahill said...

I love the pinwheels. Your story took me back to my own childhood and this time of year when our biggest thrill was to walk to the variety store and buy a paper kite and a ball of twine, both for less than a dollar. We would fly them in the park until they caught in a tree or ripped.

Thanks for taking me down memory lane.

sweetiepie said...

Lettie - Your pinwheels are so much fun to look at. When you mentioned jacks and hula hoops I was also transported to my childhood. I remember making the pinwheels in school out of construction paper. We would stick a straight pin through the middle of the pin wheel and into the eraser end of a lead pencil.

Awwww, memories. I shall enjoy them.

Anonymous said...

sbonetsue,
How could I have forgotten the kites!!! We had access to the oblong Japanese imported kites with the beautiful vivid characters on them. I haven't seen those in decades. I remember that kite string cost anywhere from 10 to 29-cents. You are right, kites and string together seldom cost more than a dollar. Thanks for the great memory.

Anonymous said...

Sweetiepie,
You should try your hand at fabric pinwheels too. They're made exactly the same way as paper pinwheels. Childhood memories are the best!

annemarie said...

I have the same pinwheel memories as you do - your project is adorable. Anne from Texas

Sandra :) said...

Beautiful pinwheel project!! I know I have a round yoyo maker, and I think I might even have that leaf one - this would make a pretty spring project to work on - thanks for the inspiration!

Kelly @ Growing.Learning.Playing. said...

Great project, it really turned out wonderful. Thanks for sharing the pics (and the memories.)

Netter said...

Pinwheels! Oh what a joy! My Grandparents used to buy them for me. I'd spend hours blowing into them or running through the yard, making them spin. I loved the swirl the patterns made.

I adore your wall pocket and thank you for taking me on a walk down memory lane.

Note to self: Buy or make pinwheels for my little Niece when she is older.

Cheryl said...

Great post! I have fond memories of riding our bikes for what seemed like hours and playing hide and seek and running around outside till dinner was ready...and hearing all the moms call the chicks home! Your pinwheel pocket is very cute!

Anonymous said...

The pinwheels are great! I remember them, hula hoops, skates, jacks, etc. I also spent a lot of time climbing trees, polls, fences and anything else I could.

Rowena said...

I remember the toys that we fashioned for ourselves...slingshots, short sticks to play "baseball" with a crushed soda can, kukui weeds (we'd bunch up the sticklers by sliding them from the bottom to the top and flick the "kukui balls" at each other--what humbug small keed memories!

Unknown said...

I love the pinwheels! You should do a tutorial of you making them. I think they are fantastic. I do remember them as well when growing up along with other fond memories!

Charmingdesigns said...

This is sooo cute! Laurie