Tuesday, January 19, 2010

'Simply Geometric' Pincushion

**This tutorial is intended for personal use only.**

What better way to start off the new year than with a pretty new pincushion. Did I just hear a collective sigh of ooh's and ahh's rounded out with a squeal of delight? Oh, never mind, it came from me. What is it about pincushions, anyway? I can never get enough of them.


Here is the pattern. It is made up of circles, squares and triangles. Simply geometric! Please note that this diagram has not been drawn to scale but is for information purposes only.


Cut two 6-1/2" squares for the body of the pincushion.
Cut 8 triangles, 4 lining and 4 from decorative fabric. (I've chosen white for the lining).
For the rosette, cut two 4-inch circles with 1-3/4" circles removed from their centers.


Begin with the triangles. Place one lining and one decorative piece together, right sides facing each other. Pin in place. Sew both of the 4-3/4" sides using 1/4" seams. Trim seams to 1/8" and clip the point to reduce bulk. Turn right side out. Repeat with the remaining triangular pieces.
For the rosette, pin right sides together and sew around the outside perimeter using a 1/4" seam. Trim the seam to 1/8" and turn right side out.
Press all pieces flat with an iron.


Place one 6-1/2" square onto a flat surface, right side facing up. Center each of the triangles along the straight edges, right sides facing down. Machine baste each piece into place to keep it from shifting.


Place both 6-1/2" squares right sides together. Sew around the perimeter using a 1/4" seam. Be sure to leave a 1-1/4" opening for turning. Clip all 4 corners and turn right side out.


Stuff with your preferred stuffing and sew the opening closed.


Bring the 4 triangle points to the center of the pincushion. They should overlap by 1/4". Tack to keep it in place.


To finish off the rosette, take a running stitch along the inside circle. Gather and tie off.


Sew the rosette to the center of the pincushion and top with a coordinating stack of buttons. If you prefer, you can tuft the center by pulling the thread tightly as the buttons are being sewn on.


Here is a version with a double rosette.


I adore this color combination. Brown. Pink. Lavender. Très chic!


Now, load these pretties up with pins and start on that project that you've been procrastinating about. Go. Do it now. I said so. Pretty please. Well, only if you want to.

Have a good day!

Aloha!

39 comments:

Janine said...

They are like all your pincushiions lovely.
Tell me honestly, how many pincushions do you have (hihi)
Hugs
Janine

Joanne Lendaro said...

You did it again!! Love it!! I would be so happy if I had 1/1000 of your talent and creativity! THanks for sharing!!

JennaLouiseCreates said...

This is a lovely pincushion thank you so much for sharing:)

Jenny said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous. I am not surprised, though!

Unknown said...

Way too cute!! Love it Lettie

Holly Days Closet said...

I love them thanks for the pattern. Will be putting them on my list of things to do.
Holly

Anonymous said...

Lettie, this is absolutely adorable. I will be making one of these soon.

Thanks for sharing your creative talent with us.

CC said...

Hi Lettie,
As with everything you do,this is simply beautiful. Everything is always so dainty and pretty..just so sweet and girly..I just love what you do. Thank you so much for these patterns,ideas and tutorials, you are a real inspiration.

Sandra :) said...

OooOOoo I quite like that!

Cathi said...

That's a great pincushion!! Thanks for the tutorial!

Zsófi said...

It is really lovely!
I love this idea of bringing geometry into life. :-)

ZlataR said...

Oh, it's so beautiful! I really like it!Thanks for the tutorial!

Barb said...

What a wonderful tutorial...thanks!!

stardust said...

1000 MERCIS -THANK U !- from France for all these free patterns ♥ KT

Enga Krahmer said...

Hi
the pillows are so beautiful
loving greeting from Germany
Enga

Anonymous said...

Looks great - I love your creativity. :)

KaHolly said...

It was my lucky day to discover your blog! I can hardly wait to get back to my sewing quarters so I can play, play, play! (I'm traveling for a few months.) With your designs, of course, as I don't have even one smidgeon the imagination or talent that you do. Since you got it all, thanks for sharing!! ~karen

emy said...

Beautiful! Thank you for your wonderful tutorial!!!

sweetiepie said...

Very creative and beautiful, as always. Thanks for sharing all your great ideas.

Take care.

spage said...

That would make a "BEAUTIFUL" pillow. I think I might try that.

Stephanie D said...

Very pretty!

I do so love the doughnut one you gave me--when the pins are in it, it looks even more yummy!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oh that is so, so pretty! Thanks so much for this, I'll be linking.

suz said...

You are so amazing. You have wonderful ideas. I love this pincushion.

Mannick...91 said...

Lovely Lettie !!

Donnelly said...

Very nice! Thanks for sharing it with us!
Have a great day!

JG said...

That is one cute, colorful pincushion! Thanks for the tutorial.

Sandra said...

This is adorable! Can't wait to make my own from your tutorial.

Thearica said...

love it, love it, love it!!

Andrea K. said...

So lovely ! I like pincushions. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial.
Hugs Andrea

Litamora's Quilt & Design said...

That is just lovely! Thanks for sharing!
I love your work, it's great!
Laila

Martina said...

Hi! this is super cute! Like all the stuff you create.
Thanks so much for sharing with us!

Lynn S. said...

Oh! SO cute and easy looking to make up! Thank you so much for posting this one! Wishing I had all those great ideas you have floating around in MY head! Good thing we all have you Letty! Thanks!

aida said...

hai..greetings from Malaysia..
OMG ...i really love with all your works...beautiful..colourful and fantastic work you've done...looking at things you do..hope u don't mind i link and follow yr blog..:)

Eileen S said...

OMG! Why haven't I found your blog before today?! Beautiful pincushions and tutorials! Thank you so much for sharing your talent!
Wishing I were in Hawaii right now!
Mahalo and Aloha!
Eileen

Suze said...

Very nice, Thanks for the great tute.

Pam said...

Thanks for the great tutorial. Love the pin cushions. There are on my To Do List for this weekend.
Love your blog.

Mavi. said...

Letiee, thank you very much for your tutorials are clear, beautiful and a pleasure to work with them.
Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lettie. I love all of your tutorials. Can you tell me how that I may print out only the pattern and not all of the advertising or your list of other tutorials. I do not have any way to take my computer to my sewing room so would like to print some of them out and take the pages with me instead.

Anonymous said...

I have included this tutorial in a list of links on my blog - http://alittlebirdmademe.com/2013/08/02/friday-finds-links-to-50-free-patterns-for-pincushions/
Please stop by and grab a button!