Thursday, May 20, 2010

Oh So Sweet! Cupcake Party Favor

**This tutorial is intended for personal use only.**

This dainty cupcake has a hidden treat cup located in it's center. It makes a wonderful party favor or a cute gift box for a special piece of jewelry. Use it as part of the table setting at a tea party or luncheon. Eliminate the tab closure and add a loop for hanging and you will have a sweet Christmas tree ornament.


I used a 3 oz. plastic Solo cup for the base of this project.


To begin, trim the cup until it measures 1-1/2" tall.

You will also need to make a tab closure out of cardstock measuring 1/2" x 3". To make the tab more durable, I glued 2 layers of cardstock together. Glue the tab to the outside of the cup as shown.


To make the cupcake liner, cut a strip of cardstock that measures 1-1/2" x 11" and accordion fold it in 1/4" pleats.


Glue the folded cardstock together to form a ring. Add a generous amount of glue to the outside of the cup.


Slip the cupcake liner around the outside of the cup. Secure with rubber bands that are not too tight. Make sure that the liner makes gentle contact with the cup and the glue.


Glue a 1-3/4" circle to the underside of the tab closure.


To to give a more finished look to the liner, turn the cup upside down and glue a 1-1/2" cardstock circle to the bottom. Set aside to dry.


To make the frosting, cut the following strips out of paper. Use any paper that you have on hand, from an old paperback book that has seen better days to designer paper used in scrapbooking.
1-3/8" x 16"
1-1/8" x 16"
7/8" x 16"
5/8" x 16"
Ink the edges on one side of each strip. Accordion fold each strip in 3/8" pleats. Glue each of the ends together to form 4 separate rings.


With needle and thread, take a running stitch near the non-inked edge of each accordion pleated ring. Gather and tie off in the back. Clip thread.


You should have four rosettes in graduating sizes.


Glue a 2-1/4" cardstock circle to the underside of the largeest rosette. The underside of the largest rosette will be exposed so be sure to use the same color cardstock that you have used throughout this project.

Glue small circles to the underside of each of the three smaller rosettes. Be sure to use the same paper that the rosettes are made from. Use a circle paper punch if you have one available to you or cut them freehand. Be sure to leave a margin around the edge of each rosette. If the circle extends all the way to the edge of the rosette, it will show once it has been assembled. The circles are necessary and will keep the rosettes from nesting into each other.


Apply glue to the circles on the underside of the three smallest rosettes and stack in ascending order.


Apply glue to the top of the circle located on the tab closure. Place the rosette stack on top of the circle. Add a velcro closure to the tab.


Top with a cherry.


No cherry? Add a cute cupcake topper instead.


A belly band could also be added with the guest of honor's initials or photo. There are so many options to customize this little bundle of sweetness.


I chose to add a sprinkling of crystal clear glitter to the frosting for some added sugary glitz.


More glittery cupcakes.


I had loads of fun designing and making these sweet cupcakes. I hope you enjoy making it too.

Aloha!

39 comments:

Jo said...

How cute!

Unknown said...

thats a great idea,
love it


♥The Monster
www.bythemonsterandme.com

Annette said...

I love it great work

Kristin said...

What a cool idea! You truly are too creative for words.

ACreativeDreamer said...

What a great idea, this turned out so very cute!

Barb said...

soooooooooooooooo cute!!

Missy Ann said...

Seriously fabulous!

Deb said...

What an adorable idea! I think these are wonderful!!!

Jenny Bolech said...

This is such a cute idea! I'm always impressed and inspired by your creativity! I knew there was a good reason I didn't throw away all those little Mickey Mouse cups in the back of the cupboard ;)

sweetiepie said...

This is a really cute idea. Lettie, your creativity never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for sharing.

Take care.

FlourishingPalms said...

Just too darned cute! And you're just too darned talented! I think you musta gotten my talent quota, and those of about a dozen others. Great project!

Maggey and Jim said...

That was amazing.. Loved it.
Maggey

Linda said...

Adorable! You are too creative. Love your blog! I am new to blogging and I put you as a favorite. I hope that's ok!

Sewing Junkie said...

Do you create in your Dreams at night? Cute for party favors or for trinkets. Keep up the vivid dreams Lettie Chris

Reflections of life and art said...

Hi Arlette...these cupcakes are delightful....have you ever thought about doing a YouTube video on making them? TFS!
Hugs,
Noel

Marisa Torres said...

ARLETTE estoy enamorada de tu blog, no solo por la belleza de tus trabajos sino también por tus tutoriales.Eres muy generosa y una gran artista.
BESOS DESDE ESPAÑA.

Jenn @ West Sac Honey said...

Hi Lettie! I just found your blog and you have some AMAZING tutorials! I can't wait to try some! I'm a new follower!

Mary Ann said...

Very, very cute!!!
Thanks for sharing!!!

emy said...

So cute!!!! Thank you for your tutorial!!!
Baci!

Emy

Threeundertwo said...

I love this! Your tutes are always so clear and make everything look so easy.

sandra said...

that is great. You make it look so easy too!

CM2 said...

Fantastic simply fantastic! Enjoy your work ... tremendously Thank you, CM2

Joyfulsister said...

That is too cute!!! :) I think I will try it.. Thanks for sharing your creative gifts. It's good to see a sistah from the islands.. I'm in Oahu where are you?

Hugz Lorie

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Wow! Fabulous!!

Kathy ~~~ said...

You are amazing! Love your creative mind. lol I'm amazed at all the creative idea's you come up with. I love it, love it, love it!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

AWW! That is so, so cute! I love how you did the frosting. Just adorable. Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

Carol said...

What a lovely idea. Thanks for the tutorial.

Vegan said...

Adorable! I just have one question: exactly where do the two sides of the velcro go? I'm having trouble picturing it in my mind.

Thanks!

Sheri@childmade.com said...

Wow! I just discovered your site! You have marvelous tutorials! Thanks for sharing ... I think I've linked up about everyone of them.

Colleen MacKinnon; Penny Rugs and More said...

A-Mazing as always.! Lettie you have the greatest tutorials!
Hey, visit my on line garage sale, maybe you'll get some more inspiration? 'http://colleenmackinnons.blogspot.com/

I'm hoping to start sharing woolie ideas once by studio is back to normal from our renovation

Colleen

EMR said...

This is an absolutely lovely idea, so pretty, and such a good idea for a gift box. Thank you.

Shawnee said...

Lovely! I linked to your project on my Flirty Apron Swap blog ... our theme is Cupcakes & Cherries & M.E. - perfect!

Shawnee
http://flirtyapronswap.blogspot.com

Lorraine said...

Lettie, this is yummy indeed. Thanks for sharing the directions!!!

breanna said...

you.are.brilliant.

Suze said...

Those are so cute! Thanks for sharing.

Carrie P. said...

Just looking at your whole blog. You are so talented. And so many great tutorials on you sidebar.

Carmen said...

WOW! THAT"S SUCH A CUTE IDEA. I LOVE IT AND I LOVE CUPCAKES THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT TUTORIAL AND SO MANY OTHERS.
GOD BLESS YOU

Cindy said...

I so greatly appreciate all the tutorials that you have shared. Do you have pdf files for each of the tutorials since we are not able to copy and print your pictures for our own tutorial? I mean that I make a copy of your tutorial for just my personal use. I can copy your instructions but would like to have the pictures to help me visually. You do a wonderful job on your blog!!

Anonymous said...

I really had a wonderful time being here on your blog. You are so talented and imaginative. I am going to try my own rendition of your Cupcake Party Favor. Thanks for sharing your talents.