Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hexagon Flower Tufted Pincushion

**This tutorial is intended for personal use only.**

To make this pincushion, 1/2" hexagons were joined at the base to form a 6-petal flower, leaving each petal unattached at the sides. Another hexagon was sewn to the back of each petal to encase and hide the raw edges. A ladder stitch was used to close 5 sides of each petal. The 6th side was left open at the base in the back.
I repeated this again using 3/4" hexagons.


All petals were lightly stuffed with polyfil.


The openings were slip stitched closed.


I then cut out two 4" hexagons. With right sides together, I machine stitched around the perimeter using a 1/4" seam and left a small opening for turning. It was turned right side out, stuffed, and the opening stitched closed.


I tufted it lightly using 6 strands of embroidery floss, and hand stitched the flower to the center of the pincushion.


Voila! Completed pincushion.


Another quick and easy project that would make a fun gift for an English Paper Piecing quilting buddy.

On another note, I'd like you to know how much I appreciate each and every one of your comments regarding my Flower Garden Apron. I had long been yearning for an apron of my own. Although there was an enormous amount of hand stitching involved, I am really pleased with the outcome. It makes me happy to hear that you liked it too.

Have a fabulous day.

Aloha!

18 comments:

Missy Ann said...

Very cute! I really like the black print on the bottom, it gives it a little edginess.

Kaye said...

Love the Pincushion! The black?white material is perfect . You are so clever and so talented

JG said...

What a gorgeous pincushion!

RG said...

Oh Lettie, another wonderfully clever and gorgeous project!!
I'd love some of that creativity that flows in your head...lol
hugs
Robyn xx

Kristin said...

Adorable project.

Jantine said...

Thanks for this one, I really love it!

sweetiepie said...

Lettie, you have come up with another beautiful creation, as usual. Your creativity never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks for sharing.

Annette said...

Gorgeous! And I'm going to try it. Thanks for sharing. There seems to be no end to your creativity. I love it!!

SG said...

You did it again! It's gorgeous!
Thank you!

Karen said...

Aloha, what a great pincushion;) I'll have to add one of these to my collection...we all know that you can never have too many pincushions;) Thanks

Carrie P. said...

Sweet! You are just so smart. Love it.

Rumi said...

Hexagons are so versatile! I don't like doing alot of hand sewing so this little pincushion is a perfect project for me! I would be overwhelmed with trying a hexagon quilt!

Suze said...

Love the hexagon pincushion!

emy said...

Wow!! Your jobs is fantastic!!!

Un bacione!

Janine said...

Haha, that is again, one of your little peojects?
You are truly a magician!
Have a great weekend
Janine

KeriAnne said...

Cute pincushion! Too bad my little one likes to pull them all out of pincushions!
~CraftedByDesign~

Zsófi said...

Dear Arlette!

I am also a hexagon-fan. While I was preparing my would-be mother-in-law a small cigarette-holder bag, I found your page.

Thank You for your inspiration!
Your works are gorgeous!

http://rosiedots.blogspot.com/2009/07/diy-cigaretta-tarto.html

Rosa Forino said...

Thank You for your inspiration!
Your are gorgeous!

saluti dall'italia