Sunday, June 28, 2009

Illusion Wallet

**This tutorial is intended for personal use only.**

I thought I'd take you along for the ride as I create my nephew's birthday gift.

Many of you are probably going to remember this from your childhood. If you went to a carnival in the 50's or 60's, you may remember that illusion wallets were given away as game prizes. Back then, they were little cheapy things made from plastic that usually broke before you got it home (ask me how I know). This one is made from fabric and cardboard.

You will need 4 pieces of chipboard or heavy cardboard, each measuring 3" x 6-1/2".


You will also need Heat'n Bond adhesive and four 6-inch pieces of 1/2" elastic.


Cut 4 sheets of Heat 'n Bond, each measuring 4" x 7-1/2".

Cut 4 fabric pieces from 2 coordinating fabrics, each measuring 4" x 7-1/2". Two pieces will be for the lining and the other 2 will be for the outside of the wallet.

In addition to the above, you will need an iron and a hot glue gun or fabric glue. I prefer to use both glues together. This adds the instant hold of the hot glue and the added strength of the fabric glue.


With iron, adhere the Heat 'n Bond to the wrong side of all 4 fabric pieces. When cool, tear away paper backing.


Center the pieces of cardboard onto the glue side of each of the four fabric pieces. Carefully turn over and adhere fabric to the cardboard with an iron. Turn wrong side up. There will be a margin of excess fabric around the cardboard. Notch out the corners. Fold over the excess fabric onto the cardboard and fuse with iron.


For the first lining piece: With wrong side facing up, glue elastic 7/8" in from the outside edge on the 7-1/2" side, with approx. a 1-1/2" overlap. Do this on both ends of the cardboard piece.


For the second lining piece: With wrong side facing up, glue elastic 2" in from the outside edge on the 7-1/2" length, with approx. a 1-1/2" overlap. Do this on both ends of the cardboard piece.


Place both lining pieces next to each other with wrong sides facing up. Make sure that the sides with the glued elastic is at opposite ends. Bring the 4 loose pieces of elastic up through the center.


Line up elastic and glue it to the opposing piece. The elastic should be taut but not stretched. This step will join both lining pieces together.


With wrong sides facing each other, glue the outside piece to the lining. This will hide the mechanics. Allow the glue to set up before using.


To use, open wallet and place paper money in the center. Close wallet. (Think of the wallet as a sandwich and the paper money as the filling).


Open the opposite side of the wallet and let the magic happen.


The bill will mysteriously tuck itself under the elastic.


This is a fun way to present a gift of money.


All wrapped up and ready for the party.


Hope you enjoyed the tutorial.

Aloha!

12 comments:

sweetiepie said...

I do remember these. We were always in such awe wondering how that worked. What a clever way to give a gift!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Sherry said...

Hi I was going to copy it so I could make one but I can not do this is there a way I can get a copy so I can make on for a gift. Thanks

Busym1 said...

I've never seen anything like this! My kids would love this! Thanks so much for the instructions! hugs, michelle

JG said...

What a neat gift for a young person who enjoys magic! Thanks for the tutorial.

Janine said...

I son´t know this magic. wallets.
But I like it very much.
That is such a sweet gift.
As a child I woulld have loved it (and I still would).
Hugs
Janine

Susan said...

What a fantastic gift idea! Thanks for the tutorial!

MandMStudio said...

What a great idea. My son loves magic tricks, I can't wait to make this for him.

Kristin said...

Oh that is so cool!

Suze said...

Cool, so that's how you make those. Thanks for sharing. :)

Susette

CC said...

I just have to ask..How do you ever think of so many wonderful and beautiful things? I am in absolute awe at your talent. I love all your tutorials and will be back to look more....and thank you so much for all the ideas. :)

Esther said...

Hello, i´m from Mexico, i like your idea. Your blog it´s nice. thanks.

Lourdes said...

Hello!....Thanks for sharing this tutorial!

Bigs hugs from Barcelona , Spain!

Lourdes