Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Difficulty with the hired help...

What is wrong with the hired help these days anyway? It seems that my "helper" was more interested in taking flight rather than picking a winner. Geesh! But I guess if I worked for peanuts and birdseed and was kept behind bars most of my life I probably wouldn't be too cooperative either. After numerous attempts to pick a winner, we finally have one. Because Chirpy is too fast and I'm too slow, I don't have an actual picture of him holding the winning entry. Believe me, I tried my best to get the snapshot and failed. Next time I think I'll use the cat, at least he can't fly!







Anyway, without further ado, Cheryl of Periwinkle Vintage is our winner. Cheryl, I'll be contacting you shortly. Thank you to everyone who entered. This was a lot of fun and I plan to do more giveaway's in the future.




I managed to complete a couple of t-shirt reconstruction projects over the weekend.

My first is a summer beach tote. The body of the tote was knit in garter stitch using size 13 knitting needles. The yarn used throughout this tote was made from 3/4-inch strips of t-shirt. The Knifty Knitter was used to create the daisies and five-inch pieces of green t-shirt yarn was used for the grass fringe. I also gave it a braided handle (I used 12 strands per handle) for a little variety in texture. I think I'll call this handbag, Daisies in My Green Beans, err, I mean, Daisies On The Green. (I can't help but see green beans every time I look at this tote!)




The body of my next bag is made from a couple of t-shirts (I doubled it up for added strength). I will call this one, Blazing Poppies in the Midnight Sky. I used my sewing machine to applique most of the pieces onto the face of the tote. The handles of this bag are made from the bottom hems of two t-shirts (folded over twice for added strength).




Here is a close-up of the flowers...



I hope you try your hand at working with old t-shirts. It's a fabulous way to recycle and most of all, create something fun from your throwaways.

Have a creative day!

Aloha!

5 comments:

Rowena said...

AGH! I can't see the photos at this end. I just see skinny bars and when I click on them, I get the image name [IMGP 1488.JPG] What did you post? I'm wondering if I've run into a censor-type problem.

Anyhoo, congrats to the winner (and humbug Chirpy!...what a rascal!!)

Rowena said...

Ok I give up. When I clicked on your link in the email you sent me, your page opened and the first 5 photos loaded onto the screen. So I got to see Chirpy, the winning slip of paper and your two bag projects. The last one was just an empty space, so I refreshed the page and now I can't see the photos anymore! I'm pointing the finger at blogger/blogspot on this side of the world. Lame-o's!

Unknown said...

Oh, how I wish I could see the photos too! Can you work some magic for me??

Anonymous said...

It seems that Blogger has been messing with me. My pics were there this morning and by evening they were gone. This is the second time since Friday that this has happened. I uploaded them again. I hope you can see them this time. Sorry about the trouble.

Rowena said...

Yay! Now it works...you were not the only one with image woes. I heard several other bloggers were having the same problem. Ah well, back to crafting! ;-)