Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I feed my soul...By the stitches I sew.



I have had an interest in embroidery for as long as I can remember. As you can see, I'm not that good at it and my stitches are all wonky and uneven. Over the years, I have completed many cross stitched pieces but no embroidery. I'm finding that cross stitching is a piece of cake when compared to embroidery. I'll admit that this is one skill that I have yet to hone, but I won't let that stop me. I'm a firm believer that practice makes perfect and I plan to practice until I get it right.

This is a classic pattern and one that I'm sure many of you have seen before. There is a certain nostalgic feel to it and it reminds me of my paternal grandmother. It looks very much like something she would have embroidered onto her pillowcases.

I have been admiring quilts that include embroidery work in their design for a very long time. There is something very pleasing to me to see embroidered pieces scattered amongst the beautiful blocks of color. I know that I won't be attempting a quilt anytime soon, but maybe a few embroidered pieces may find their way into my handbag designs this year. This is just in the planning stages, but one that I hope to bring to fruition sometime soon.

I want to apologize for the quality of my photo. In an effort to post early in the morning, I'm having to take my pictures while it's still dark outside. I'm sure there is a way to get better photo's even in the darkness, but I'm a bit camera challenged. If you click to enlarge it, you will get a better idea of what it looks like in person.

I want to extend my thank you to each of you who made a comment to yesterday's post. I will admit that it has gotten a little bit overwhelming at times to answer each and every one of you individually, but please know that I appreciate the time and thoughtfulness of each comment that I receive from you.

I'm off to practice my stitching. I hope you have a great day!

Aloha!

***Don't forget to enter my giveaway. If you are new to my blog, please refer to my post of April 8 for the rules.***

6 comments:

annemarie said...

Your do a real good job with embroidery - you have to give yourself more credit than you do!! You are very talented Lettie and I love seeing all of your projects. Anne from Texas

Netter said...

Embroidery...that's a topic that will get me in trouble. I promised to make a friend a set of towels with gray kittens on them. That was years ago. I think I have two of the weekly set done. I need to get to work on those and give them to her. She'll fall over with joy. I'm just not very good at it and I'd rather move on to something that I can knock out quickly. Sigh...I just hope she doesn't remember before I get them done.

Sue Cahill said...

I'm not so hot at embroidery stitches but I have mastered the basics by doing lots of redwork. I did tons of cross stitch years ago but once I tried quilting I was totally hooked. I love the design you did, so cute and retro.

sweetiepie said...

Lettie - I think your embroidery is beautiful!

My grandmother taught me to embroider when I was 10 years old. My first piece was pillowcases with kittens on it. I still have them. I think it is a very relaxing pastime. - Joyce in Iowa

Anonymous said...

I believe you are too critical about your embroidery abilities. I think its wonderful. The first hand sewing I learned was emboidery.

Rowena said...

As a kid I used to crossstitch all the time...too bad I lost the hobby alont the way. Embroidery is another thing altogether. You make it look so easy though!!