Monday, June 23, 2008

Hexagon Yo-Yo Pincushion

I made a new pincushion. Yes, I know that I need another pincushion like I need a hole in the head. I can't help myself and I can guarantee you that this probably won't be the last one that I make either.

I've been playing around with what I call a folded hexagon yo-yo. I know you quilters probably have another name for these. I have referred to them as yo-yo's for as long as I can remember so I guess I will continue to do so. As they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I don't qualify as a dog (I hope) but I qualify as old. By the way, I was born in The Territory of Hawaii. Yes, that is what my birth certificate says. Hawaii wasn't even a state yet. So you can believe me when I say that I am old. I digress. Where were we? Oh, the folded hexagon yo-yo's and pincushions. Well, my yo-yo's were stitched onto the pincushion by hand (you could do it by sewing machine too) prior to folding so that the stitches are hidden inside the yo-yo. They're done in a similar fashion to attaching the round yo-yo's to quilts or other fabric objects.

These are folded fabric flowers attached to color coordinated bobby pins for little girls to wear in their hair. Those little white marks on the flowers are supposed to be polka dots. There are so many folds in the flower petals that the polka dots kind of disappeared. I guess I need to use smaller polka dots on these flowers or nix the polka dots altogether.

I hope you all have a good day.

Aloha!

15 comments:

Cathi said...

The pin cushion is too much fun!! I want one!! :-)
Your little fabric flowers are very sweet -- even if the polka dots don't show.

sweetiepie said...

Ohhh..I like your hexagon yo-yo pin cushion. Very different.

The flowered hair pins are very cute even if you can't tell it is polka dot fabric.The flowers remind me of Kanzashi flowers. Thanks for sharing. Joyce in Iowa

Unknown said...

How ever did you make those adorable hexagon yo-yo's? Are you going to have a tutorial?

Sheddy

Lynn said...

I'm starting to think you can never have too many pin cushions!
Question: Lettie, I have been making yo-yo's with a beaded center for a Christmas tree skirt (this is actually what brought me to your blog - thankfully). I'm stumped by the shape I should sew them together to make a round skirt. I read your quilt tut, love the idea, but I'm several hundred single yo-yo's into this and would like to use them. Any advise?

Stephanie D said...

Good thing I have no little girls, because I'd wear those bobby pins myself!

Cute pincushion--so different!

Pat said...

You are so very clever. I love the pincushion.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Beautiful pin cushion a lot of work in that..cute flowers

Chantal said...

this is a very cute pincushion . I wish it was in my collection . :)

Rowena said...

The hexagon pincushion is very, very cool Lettie. As you say that involves folding, I'm thinking that you must be good at making origami!

Prove me wrong, but I bet you made tons of paper cranes when you were a kid!

Annette said...

Oh no! Now I've found ANOTHER pincushion that I'm in love with. This is just gorgeous. I love your colors. And the tree skirt idea out of yo-yo's is inspiring too.

crafty diane said...

Love the pin cushion! I, too, hope you will do a tutorial.
God Bless,
Diane

TaraB said...

I have to make this pincushion!! I love it - Do you have a pattern? If so, can I buy it? LOVE THE PINCUSHION!!!

Iowa Sunshine said...

You pincushion is great! You mean i can have more than one? Awesome!

Unknown said...

Please .....a tutorial on the folded hexie!

-Susan- said...

I found your folded hexagon pin cushion on Pinterest and LOVE it! Can you tell me how or direct me to a tutorial on how to make the folded hexagons? Thanks!