Friday, January 2, 2009

Traditional Luau Foods

We made our annual New Years Day trek to my mom's house for our Hawaiian "Luau" dinner. Mom's been making Hawaiian food to usher in the New Year since I can remember.

I thought that you might like to see what Hawaiian food actually looks like.

This picture includes kalua pig, chicken long rice, lau lau (pork and steamed taro leaves), poi(the root of the taro plant, pounded into a paste),sweet potato (this year mom made purple Okinawan sweet potato instead of the common variety), squid luau (squid cooked in the steamed leaves of the taro plant, similar in texture to cooked and finely chopped spinach),fish(this is Weke, or what you may know as Goatfish), lomi lomi salmon(salt cured salmon with chunks of tomato and round and green onions), and macaroni salad(not Hawaiian but a local favorite).



Here's a close-up of the poi(taro root, pounded into a paste). Finger lickin' good, although some liken it to wall paper paste. I have to wonder of they've actually tasted wall paper paste. rofl



Fish, Okinawan sweet potato, chicken long rice, lau lau (pork steamed in taro leaves).


Pineapple chunks and haupia (coconut pudding) for dessert.


I hope you enjoyed seeing what Hawaiian food looks like. These are the main dishes that you will see at any traditional Luau. Of course, there are other items such as opihi, raw salted crab, raw innards, and several more.

If you have a moment to enter a fabulous giveaway, hop on over to the Crafty Janie blog and leave a message for Janie and she will enter you in her giveaway. She's giving away some really great stuff, fabric included. I have my eye on those Moda fabrics and I'm sure you will too once you see them. Good luck to all.

I'm down with a bit of a cold. I hate being sick. I am really exhausted from holiday overload. I can't wait to get back to my usual routine. At this point, I really miss it.

Take care, everybody.

Aloha!

12 comments:

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

What an interesting post; thanks! This is probably as close to Hawaii as I'll ever get :D

kelly said...

That was really neat to show the twins! Both kids are always interested in other cultures and learning. THank you


Hoping you feel better soon and have an amazing 2009!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting my
giveaway. The haupia (coconut pudding) sounds good. Do you have a recipe. I love anything made from coconut.

Janie

Amy said...

The food looks scrumptious...I, too, like the sound of the coconut pudding. Thank you for this most interesting post :)

sweetiepie said...

What an interesting combination of foods. I would be interested in trying them all. The coconut pudding sounds especially good. I love coconut.

Thanks for sharing.

Kizzy said...

The food look very good,and the pudding mmmmmmmmmmmmm I love coconut kizzy

Suze said...

Looks like an onolicous spread...yum! Take care and I hope you feel better soon.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

I've seen that traditional food on my numerous visits to your wonderful island. Hubby and I go thre twice a year and we've been to a luau. What a fun thing to do. I dont think I ate all that much but very interesting. LOL
Happy New Years to you!!!!

Lorraine said...

You've got my mouth watering for that pineapple and coconut pudding! That's a very interesting menu and I bet it's all delicious.

Anonymous said...

mmmm, just like everyone else my tummy is starting to grumble!!!!! It all looks so yummy and appealing, one day I hope to give it all a try (for today I have to focus on weight watchers food since I just joined this morning - BORING!)
Thanks for your lovely comment and I am glad my sneak peeks wont stress you too much =]

Jenny said...

Whoa! RAW INNARDS? LOLOL

Just kidding ... that's a fascinating menu and I loved the pics. So different from what we do down South! I'm under the weather with a bit of a cold too, Lettie, so I can certainly empathize ... and like you, I need me routine back, stat! Hope you're feeling better today. Happy New Year!

~Jenny

Anonymous said...

Hi Lettie,

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Thanks for sharing the pictures of Hawaiian delicacies -- I would LOVE to try the foods.

Thanks for the "no eyes" assurance -- I think it's harder to put the eyes because I can never tell "exactly" where to place them...

I hope you get to feeling better soon - get lots of rest! *HUGS*