Monday, January 19, 2009

It's Check-in Day!

It's Diet Challenge check-in day and I am happy to report that after a week and a half, I am down 3-1/2 pounds. Yeah me!!! LOL Thank you all so much for your support regarding my weight-loss journey. My doctor has said that she would like me to lose 15% of my body weight. She says that the loss of just 15% has been proven to reduce blood pressure and lessen the onset of diabetes and heart disease, none of which I presently have. The one thing that I still need to do is to start walking more. I have always hated exercise and physical sports (I'd rather be sewing!) so this will be the biggest challenge for me.

Today's recipe is for Chili. I love, love, love chili. This recipe will serve 6 and is only 282 calories per serving.

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
2-3 cloves of minced garlic
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cans (14-1/2 oz.) regular or salsa-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 (16-oz) chili beans, drained
1 green pepper, diced
3/4 cup salsa

Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Crumble turkey into pan, add chili powder, cumin and salt. Cook 5 minutes longer. Add tomatoes, beans, bell pepper, and salsa. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. Serve.

I will be on a liquid diet today as I am prepping for the dreaded colonoscopy early tomorrow morning. I clearly remember the horror stories told by friends and family when I was growing up. I have been dreading it ever since. Well, the time has finally arrived and I have to admit that although I am a bit anxious, I want tomorrow to be here already so that I can put this thing behind me.

I am a huge news junkie. I cannot believe that after countless months of following the election, I am going to miss the Presidential Inauguration. Oh, phooey. My hubby will be taping it for me. By the time I get to watch it, it will already be old news. Darn it! The doctor doing the procedure insisted that I do it tomorrow because he had an opening. I had forgotten at the time of scheduling that it was Inauguration Day. No wonder he had an opening, no one else wanted it! On another note, doesn't it make you wonder why a person chooses to become a Gastroenterologist? Yuk. Yuk. Yuk.

Since I am on a liquid diet, I made myself a nice hot pot of tea this morning. The tea that I am drinking is made by Teaposy and was given to me by my son's very sweet girlfriend. It comes in a cute colorful box and each posy is individually wrapped and named. Cute names like butterfly, calendula, heart of love, falling water, and lady fairy make me love it even more.

Each posy is tied into a little flower-like bud before it is individually wrapped.

When placed into hot water, it slowly blooms into a pretty flower. Fun.



I would like to take this time to thank all my readers for stopping by each day. Thank you so much for your comments and emails. It is very gratifying to know that my blog is a friendly place to visit and a soft spot to land on after a busy day.

Take care!

Aloha!

17 comments:

Amy said...

Good luck with your colonoscopy. I think the worst part is the prep, so by this time tomorrow, you'll be home free. Love the tea blossom...

Love,
Amy

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Good luck tomorrow with your test. My hubby had that last year. I have his photo on my blog from it. LOLOL!!!! And good for you for going. Just think, you'll drop a few pounds in the process. Everything has a positive side right??
Congrats on the weight loss this week.

Suze said...

Congrats on your weight loss. I also need to exercise for my health. I was doing good until I got sick. hah! I'll be praying that your colonoscopy goes well.

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Your post about your test tomorrow has inspired me to make my overdue appointment! My friend said they gave her some medication so that she forgot the whole thing and before she knew it, they told her they were done! She too said drinking that liquid stuff is the worst part. I stumbled upon your blog tonight...it is really cute...and what nice turorials! Thanks Arlette and good luck tomorrow. I will check back in with you.
Carrie

Amanda said...

Well done on the weight loss. I had a colonoscopy just over a year ago and I was dreading it, but it wasn't so bad. The necessary evil of the 'clearing out' process was grotty but not as bad as the abdominal migraines I regularly get, it didn't actually make me feel ill, just tied to the bathroom! And the sedative was so effective I wasn't aware of anything during the procedure itself. So, lots of luck, it'll soon be over.

Teresa said...

I hope all comes out good on your tests tomorrow - lol, pun intended. I wonder how many times that one has been said. But really, I do wish you well. I hate you will miss the ignauration, but maybe they will have it on in the waiting room as it seems to me you spend more time there than you do in the actual test procedure.

There will also be a tv in your room you recoup in most likely.

Fran said...

Best wishes for the tests. I'm just off to do my new fitness DVD...
Fran

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I've having a scope done on Friday - or should I say I'm getting my tonsils tickled. Treat yourself to something nice afterwards!

Rowena said...

Way to go Lettie! Keep cool and stay calm regarding the colonoscopy...before you know it, you'll be up and running!

sweetiepie said...

Lettie, sorry to hear you will be missing the inauguration. I will also miss it because I will be having my treatment which takes 6 hours.

Congrats on your weight loss and thanks for the recipe. It sounds yummy.

Good luck!

Laila said...

Best wishes for your tests.
Love your tea bloom.Thanks for showing. I have just come home from a walk in snow and wind. It is soooo god to come home and just sit down and stitch... Klem

Carrie P. said...

Congrats on your weight losse. You go girl. The colonoscopy is a piece of cake. You should do fine.

Jenessa said...

that is the coolest flippin' tea i have ever seen! since i'm late commenting, i'm sure you DID terrific. wait - can i use that to describe it? ok, and i'm so glad you joined, you look like you have a cute little blog with some great tutorials.

Stephanie D said...

I remember my colonoscopy, and though this is late, maybe it'll help someone else. If you get the gallon of stuff to drink, well, not so bad. If you have to drink the Fleets phosphosoda (the drink from hell), best to drink it with a straw, so that it hits the back of your throat and skips most of the taste buds. Someone told me that after my procedure also. But then the worst is over, because the procedure is a breeze--especially if you get it done in a hospital! Although, I hear there's a movement (pun intended) now to get it done in physician's offices to save the insurance company some money.

I don't plan to comply with that one if I don't have to.

And CONGRATULATIONS on the weight loss!! Attagirl! It's so rewarding to see good results!

Lorraine said...

Congrats on the weight loss! Way to go! Good luck with the test.

kelly said...

congrats on the weight loss...as long as I dont' find it =)

The tea thing is way cool. Gonna have to see if I can get that around here for my mom. She would totally go for it! (have to admit I want some too!)

Good luck on the test

Jenny said...

Way to go, Lettie! That's a fantastic beginning. I knew you could do it. I love chili too!~