Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Just Call Me Yo-Yo

Believe me when I say that my love of fabric yo-yo's has nothing to do with this post. Several days ago, while visiting Sharon at the Red Geranium Cottage, I noticed that she had issued a diet challenge to her fellow bloggers. By nature, I am not a competitive person in any way, shape, or form, but I knew that this challenge would be a good motivational tool for me. It doesn't take a genius to see that I am overweight.

I have been a yo-yo dieter since I can remember, and at the ripe old age of 53, nothing has changed. Over the last couple of years, I have gained quite a few pounds, losing a few, then gaining most of it back again. Several months ago I had my thyroid tested and it is as normal as can be so that excuse went out the window. At the moment, I have a very limited wardrobe because most of my clothes do not fit me. Somehow it brings me great comfort in knowing that I am not alone. By golly, gee whiz, just look at Oprah. She's a woman with unlimited resources and yet she cannot get it together either. I must say that she is much braver than I am because she has revealed her current weight and weight gain and I don't think that I can. Posting this onto my blog where everyone in the world can read it is humbling enough.

Part of Sharon's diet challenge is to post a before picture. I have thought long and hard about whether I would be able to fulfill this part of the challenge. I have decided that I am going to close my eyes and hope for the best and post my doggone photo for the world to see. It's a side view, and probably the worse possible view to show you. Darn that Sharon, she's just so convincing and inspiring that I think I probably would follow her to hell's gate...well, most likely not, but you get what I'm trying to say. So here it is.

I enlisted my son to take a few photos of me. I was amused that the first thing out of his mouth was that I should slouch over and not smile. I laughed and quickly informed him that he had been viewing too many weight-loss adds because those before and after shots are so obvious and cheesy. Anyway, it is very evident that I don't have to slouch over and not smile to get a typical before photo. ROFLMAO

Another part of this challenge is to provide diet tips, recipes, and support. Each person will post an update on their blogs each Monday(I've missed this Monday's post due to being sick). I have a link to this challenge posted in my sidebar if you'd care to follow along. Who knows, maybe you could use some motivation too.

And by the way, it seems to me that I am not the only one around here that needs to be on a diet. I'm just sayin'.



So, now that I have spilled my guts to the world, I will soon be heading out the door for dinner to celebrate my son's 21st birthday. By the way, he's a helluva young man and I love him dearly. Wish me luck that I make healthy choices. It's going to be difficult as my evening will be filled with an abundance of temptation but I know that I can do it. Most likely. Maybe. *grin*

Take care, everyone.

Aloha!

13 comments:

sweetiepie said...

Lettie,

Good luck on your diet challenge. I wish I looked as good as you from a side view...lol.

I am not trying to lose weight this year, but I have decided to try to eat healthier and if I should happen to shed a few pounds in the process, all the better.

Take care.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

You can do this! I'll be rooting for you. Remember, if you need to lose weight, you need to keep active. I'll be looking for your progress.

Elizabeth said...

Lettie,
I found your blog through Red Geranium Cottage...and her blog by following links from someone else. Good luck on the challenge. I could lose a few pounds too..I guess most of us could.
How lucky are you to have been born and raised and currently living in Hawaii! I visited Maui this summer and fell in love with the flowers, weather and landscape. I haven't been able to get it out of my mind since. I'd love to see the other islands sometime.
Elizabeth

PiecefulChaos said...

Good luck with your weight loss! I am toying with joining Sharon's challenge myself.

Amanda said...

Good luck with the weight loss. I'm hoping to lose weight this year, but it will have to be through exercise as I'm already on a very restricted diet - gluten free, dairy free, no potatoes, tomatoes or peppers. As I already eat pretty healthily there's not much else I can give up or cut down on, so exercise it needs to be.

Unknown said...

Lettie,
I am sure that you can go ahead with the diet and loose the weight you need to. It's quite hard to do it but with the help of your blogger friends sure will be less difficult. Good luck

Laila said...

Hei.
God luck with you weight loss. I know you can do it. ;-)
WE girls can do what we want!!
I have been reading you next post and I have to tell you; cold make you loos weight. You burn fat to keep warm. ( Not that it helps me...)
Klem;-)

Jenny said...

Best of luck, dear, and hope you are feeling better!

Rowena said...

Let's put it this way...you got curves woman! You got feminine curves!

I would love to have a butt like J-Lo's!

Suze said...

Good luck with your diet...hope you're feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Losing weight is one of the most difficult challenges that I know of but it can be done and you can do it so here's a big shout-out saying "YOU CAN DO IT"! I need to shed a few pounds but I didn't sign up on Sharon's blog. I'm encouraged by reading all the posts on blogs of those who have signed on. I commend you for posting your photo because it shows your commitment. Best wishes to you!

Stephanie D said...

All the best wishes to you, Lettie! You're gonna do great!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I love kitty's "before" picture. Good luck to you both.