Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Recycled Desktop Organizer

I had a cheapo plastic lazy Susan sitting on my desk collecting dust and whatever else I was too lazy to put away. It had no useful function, was just taking up space, and became a catchall. I was holding onto it because I knew that one day I could use it as an organizer. Just how, I didn't know.

Ideally, I needed something with a good number of sections to keep items separated and organized. Having my frequently used tools close at hand would be my goal. It was becoming increasingly frustrating to have to dig through drawers to find the right tools for each project.

Recycling cans to organize tools is an excellent idea and nothing new, but this method hasn't always been practical for my needs. The cans would become top heavy when fully loaded and topple over. This became frustrating and would eventually lead to the abandonment of the cans-used-as-an-organizer idea.


Then the concept of using magnets to secure the cans came to mind. This would surely solve the toppling over problem. The cans would sit securely on the lazy Susan and remain upright as they spun around. If I needed to transport the items contained in a single can to another work space, I could easily pull it away and take it to where it was needed. This would be very practical because the entire organizer would not have to be moved along with it. When I was done, the can would easily and securely slip back into place. Perfect. I wouldn't even have to glue the magnets to the cans if I didn't want to. When the organizer was no longer practical for my needs, I could toss the cans and reuse the magnets on other projects.

Here is my organizer in all it's recycled glory. Placing the cans in a flower-like configuration works great and fits well on the lazy Susan. A few paper flowers and a few other adornments and I was good to go. Quick and easy. Inexpensive to make. A bit of recycling involved. Functional. This is working out great and I couldn't have asked for anything more.


I used a Stampin' Up stamp set called Playful Petals to create the flowers.


I placed 3 magnets on each of the cans that sit around the perimeter. This provides a secure connection and keeps the cans from toppling over.


The center can (pink) does not require magnets as the cans on the perimeter all "kiss" up to it. I could easily say something about that, but I'll keep my comments to myself.


I realize that this may not be a practical organizational option for everyone but it works great for my needs. Well, at least for the time being anyway.


Have a fabulous day!

Aloha!

25 comments:

Annette said...

That looks better than any desktop organizer I've ever seen. Very pretty so its enjoyable too. Super idea!

Nile e Richard said...

Oi Arlette.
Lindas latinhas,obrigado pela tutorial.
bjtos.Nile.

Nancy said...

I love how you decorated those cans. It is pretty and practical too. Good recycling!

Zsóka said...

Gyönyörű. Igazán ki hinné, hogy ez konzerves doboz.

Anonymous said...

What a brilliant bit of recycling and so practical too. I love it. Don't really have the space in my craft corner to replicate but will keep in mind in case my space ever grows.
x Tricia

Barb said...

Just adorable....totally!!

Emily said...

Oh My Gosh! I will not have thought of magnets instead of glue in a dozen years!

Amazing idea! as usual.... ;)

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

What a great idea! And it looks great too!

Anonymous said...

really nice: but how do you made horizontal lines disappear?

Sue from Ky. said...

Lettie, everything you make and do, looks so neat. I think I will try to make one of those organizers. Looks like a fun and useful project.(TFS)

Annette said...

I love the idea... you made them so beautifull....

Lotti Svenson said...

Dear Arlette,
this is a very good idea!!
greetings from germany
Lotti

Kath said...

Oh you genius! I have one of those turntables (unused and covered in dust). I shall definately be copying this fab idea....just as soon as I get all my boxes unpacked at the new house! love from England

Stubbetufsa said...

hello!
You have a big heart that shares with us bloggers all of your good ideas!
Beautiful blog! I put you on my bloglist, if you don`t care!
Huga from Northern-NorwaY!

Jane said...

How neat!!!!! Now I have to find a lazy Susan!

Cyn said...

Perfecto! You sure have genius, Lettie. Thank you so much for sharing with all of us. I'm curious where the little "white lacy bottom edging" on the cans comes from... or is that cut shelf paper or something? Wish I had the space to set one of these up, but perhaps I can learn from you and make a vertical version and hang on my wall.
Thanks 4 the inspiration!
Hugs,
/;-)

Stephanie D said...

Clever and pretty besides!

I thought you were going to glue the magnets to the lazy susan and have the cans stand on top of the magnets, but couldn't figure out how to stabilize them. Duh. That's why you have all these cute practical ideas and I don't! LOL

sweetiepie said...

How pretty and creative. I would have never thought to use magnets on cans. Great project.

Take care.

Teresa said...

Looks great!

KimMalk said...

Hi Lettie, I found you through another blog and thought I'd stop in. You are quite the talented crafter. This organizer is so cute.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Leave it to you to make an ordinary can look so darn cute!

astrid said...

You have so much great ideas. I love your blog.

costanza said...

bellissimi bravissima!!!!

Khris said...

Fantastic idea...not that I don already have an up-cycled can on my desk but the 3 held together with magnets is great...hugs Khris

Chriss said...

Lettie, I just love that. I get so frustrated with having stuff in all sorts of drawers and boxes and can never find anything, althou it is all in its place. To have it all in one place is brilliant, all easily seen, and to hand. Good on you and thank you for sharing. Now, what can we eat that comes out of a can......