Wednesday, July 7, 2010

T-Shirt Yarn Posies

A braided rug posie made from braiding 3 strands of t-shirt yarn together. I glued it onto a cardboard base in a spiral pattern and topped it off with a button. The leaves are made from excess t-shirt parts (sleeves and upper body) that were fused together using Heat 'n Bond before cutting leaf shapes from it. The leaves were then topped stitched by hand.

The other, a single strand of t-shirt yarn glued to a cardboard base in a spiral pattern. It was also topped with a button and 2 leaves made from excess t-shirt parts. The leaves were then topped stitched by sewing machine.


Braiding t-shirt yarn is fun to do. All along, I kept thinking of what a beautiful and durable rug or basket this would make. If you are interest in making t-shirt yarn, please see my tutorial here.


Something slightly different...4-ply worsted yarn and fluffy eyelash yarn held together while being crocheted with a size I hook into a loose chain before being glued into a spiral pattern onto a cardboard base.


For this flower, I chose some vintage velvet leaves for a slightly dressier look. I absolutely adore it.


Have a fabulous, flower-filled day!

Aloha!

17 comments:

Nile e Richard said...

Oi Arlete,como vai?
Adorei as suas flores de T-Shirt,a de fio aveludado também é linda.
Parabéns pela belíssima criatividade.
bjtos.Nile.

Emily said...

Oh Wow! Absolutely food for thought!!

Thanks for another to-do project... soon!

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I have such fun seeing all the things you make, and I hope you never run out of ideas.

Country Girl in the City said...

I have seen t-shart yarn here and there on different blogs. It's something I would like to try one day..... Love the pretty flowers!

Beansieleigh said...

Arlette, I LOVE these beautiful flowers!!.. And how much FUN they'll be to make too! Can't wait to try BOTH! Thanks for sharing how!! ~tina

Anonymous said...

Those are lovely, I never thought they were so easy to make!

Talin's Corner said...

How wonderful. The flowers are just gorgeous.

sweetiepie said...

Wow, it is funny you should post this idea. I was just tninking a couple days ago that I need to clean out my drawers and get rid of some of my t-shirts I no longer wear. I was thinking of your yarn tutorial then but I didn't know what I was going to make of it. Now I have something new to try.

Thanks for sharing.

Take care.

Colleen MacKinnon; Penny Rugs and More said...

gee, yet another great tutorial! you make me wanna make tarn (tshirt yarn)!
I'm lagging behind on my penny rugs.....

BubzRugz said...

Hello from down-under. I am new to the blog world and have only recently spotted you. I love all your ideas - my favourite and most must do project is those little strawberry mice........... Hugz from Bugz

emy said...

Ciao Arlette!!
Beautiful flower!!! Thank you for your tutorial!!!

half pint honey said...

Pretty! I love them!

Tins and Treasures said...

Thank you for sharing this idea. My attic is full of t-shirts that no one wears.

Have a fabulous weekend. ~Natalie

Merry said...

oh wow...too clever...these are lovely.

BubzRugz said...

I mentioned before I love these - just wanted to let you know I have mentioned them on my blog and provided a link to you - hope you don't mind and would love you to pop over and see......... Hugz from Bubz

Tolentreasures said...

It never ceases to amaze me how you take things that I have laying around and make them beautiful! Your mind must never stop!

Cathy

Unknown said...

Arlette, your work is amazing! Perfect for my living room.. i like the flower one, its very adorable!

Rug Cleaning