Friday, October 26, 2012

Living Life

The smell and taste of hot coffee in the morning is one of life's sweetest pleasures for me. I find it to be an immensely soothing way to start my day.

Setting up a beverage station was a guilty pleasure that my heart desired for a very long time. The idea of corralling everything into one place for easy access was very appealing. I just didn't know exactly what I wanted to do until I saw THIS. While you're there, I recommend that you check out her other videos. Nikki definitely has great decorating sense and style.

I am using The Brisbur Cabinet from Pier 1 as my beverage station. I have been on a hunt for a cabinet or table (or even a dresser as I was getting pretty desperate) for quite a while, until I came across this beautiful piece. It is both elegant and functional and fit my needs to a tee. It's height, width, and length was the perfect size for the little corner space in our dining area.


I am currently using a sheet of plexiglass to protect the top surface of the cabinet. It makes clean-up very easy and removes any fear of causing damage to the wood.


There are three drawers in the upper part of the cabinet where I keep Vue Packs, creamers, and sweeteners. I love how easy everything is to access.


There are shelves in the bottom of the cabinet where additional supplies are being kept. The brown canvas bins were purchased at Target. They have a hard inner core, are very sturdy, and I am very pleased with them.


My goal is to keep the surface of the beverage center as uncluttered as possible. There you will find the Keurig Vue (adore this machine), mugs on a mug tree, a container of snacks (for a quick grab and go), a small trash can, and a towel for quick wipe ups.

You wouldn't believe how difficult it was to find a mug tree. I was so happy when I finally found one (almost threw a party) at Bed Bath & Beyond. I am certain that it is because mug trees are kind of passe, clearly out of vogue, and while I'm at it, probably oh so 70's too. Blah!


The wall hanging is actually a photo holder. There are small coils in the backs of each of the leaves that you can place pictures into. The coils act as veins in the leaves when viewed from the front. I probably will not be using it for pictures, instead, will opt for a cleaner, less cluttered look. This was also purchased at Pier 1.


Many of you have probably wondered about the meaning of mousechirpy at the beginning of my blog address. It is a combination of our pets names. This past year has been a very sad one for us due to the loss of both of our pets.

We lost Chirpy, our love bird, this past November. He was old and lived a long life. After having him for so long, I could usually understand the differences in his chirping and what they meant. The one that I miss the most is the sound of his chirp (actually, more like a screech) when he saw me for the first time each morning and knew that he'd soon be getting fresh bird seed. He expected so little, but gave us so much.


Mouse passed away in March of this year. I still cry for him, like I am doing as I'm typing this. He was my boy and I miss him dearly. For those that don't know, he suffered with a kidney problem for several years. His treatments were very stressful and took a tole on my spirit. He, too, lived a long life and was usually by my side in the craft room almost every day. My craft room is still filled with his presence. I find it both comforting and sad at the same time.


A few months before Mouse's passing, this bright eyed, bushy-tailed little bundle of energy came into our lives. He belongs to my son and his girlfriend.

This is Marlee, a dappled mini Dachshund, who has taken over the reigns as keeper and protector of our castle. He keeps us all on our toes, and has brought so much joy to our home.


I haven't been sewing very much of anything lately. My poor sewing machine is slowly growing cobwebs. What I have been doing is making handmade mini albums and journals and that has been keeping me quite busy.

This is the cover of me and my hubby's album. Once completed, it will reflect a progression of our lives from past to present.


A 1/2-inch margin along the spine between each page allows this album to accommodate bulky embellishments without distorting the pages. It will end up being quite a thick album.


I chose to do some over-the-top embellishing on this album as my usual style is pretty simple. I think that I have achieved this goal because this album is as gaudy as I will ever allow myself to create.


I have also learned that creating a handmade December daily journal is a fun concept, and one that I will be repeating again this year. This is the front cover of last years journal.


There is a lot of work involved in chronicling a full month, but it is very rewarding at the same time. It was fun bringing it out this year and looking back at the day-to-day, somewhat mundane things that we did.


Although it is a very time consuming thing to take pictures every day and then journal about it, I wholeheartedly recommend it.


I hope that all is well with each and every one of you. I apologize that I haven't been around to man this blog and I am very sorry for being so out of touch. Unfortunately, it takes motivation and commitment to run a blog and sadly, I seem to lack both of those things at this time. At this point, I am uncertain about what the future holds for Polka Dot Pineapple.

Over the past year, by choice, my life has slowed down quite a bit. I have grown to enjoy it that way. I chuckle at the thought that the only quandary that may possibly exist in my day is whether to have Italian or French Roast coffee in the morning, and then, what to have for dinner in the evening.

At this juncture, my life feels complete the way it is. I have been keeping busy in my home, doing things for myself and for my family. It is really amazing how acutely aware you become when you have the time to slow down and tune in to all that surrounds you. I hear and see things that I never did before and I appreciate everything so much more too. I am enjoying life and I wish the same for you too.
Take care!
Aloha,

28 comments:

Happy Valley Primitives said...

Lettie, I have so missed your very well written updates and have been wondering if you are okay. I am so sorry you've had to endure such a difficult year; I, too, had a great scare with my beloved dog (and fortunately, we were able to save him; however, he is still sick, so we are just enjoying every moment left). Selfishly, I hope you don't give up your beautiful blog; but you must do what is best for you right now and always. BTW, your new little addition is way too cute for words! Take care, and God bless!

Ilene

Sewing Junkie said...

Nice to hear about you and your again. Many times life gets in the way of living. Slowing down can be a good thing. Chris

Sian said...

I'm so so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved pets! It's a sorrow I have also had several times and it is never easy. Please take care of yourself and if you have to abandon your blog please know that it brought others joy. I used one of your patterns for tissue holders to make gifts for my friends and they are being enjoyed a lot :-) Thank you!

Fran said...

How lovely to read a new post from you. Yours was one of the first blogs I discovered, and I have you to thank for several items I regularly make! Very envious of your wonderful coffee station, hope you continue to enjoy it and the relaxing way of life.

Kate said...

Your coffee station is a great idea! Sorry to hear about losing Mouse and Chirpy ... if you didn't love them, you wouldn't cry. We lost old dog in May so I can totally empathize with you. Marlee is adorable. I like your December Journal and the idea of one .... looks like a lot of work went into that.

Chartreuse Moose said...

Your blog is pure delight! It always makes my day sunny!

MARIELA Inspirada said...

Since I found your blog and your great tutorials, I keep waiting a new post, because I love what you do!!!
Besitos...

crafty diane said...

It is do good to have you back! I have missed your posts. I think about you from time to time and wondered what you were creating. So sorry for the loss of your beloved pets. I know they were family to you as mine are to me. Love your journals! Hope to see lots more of you in the near future :)

Unknown said...

Hi Lettie,
I sure have missed you...but I do understand how life presents many changes for us. I hope that you find your way back to blogging, as I love your creative projects. Take good care...
Love,
Amy

Vintage said...

Hi!
You're alive! Happy to hear from you again! You've been in my thoughts and prayers. So sorry for the losses you've been trough. Hope you'll have bright days and peaceful nights. All the best from the God Almighty! Greetings from Finland.

SG said...

Hi! I'm so happy to hear from you and to know that you are OK! I've missed your inspiring posts!
Hugs!

Janine said...

Hello Arlette,
you are back to blogging. That is greta and yu are perfectly organized too.
Your scrapbooks are looking wonderfull, as far as a photo can show this.
I am looking foreward to see more of your cool projects. It is allways a joy to visit your blog.
Have e graet week
Janine

CookingAndCrafting said...

Once again, sorry for the loss of not just Chirpy, but also Mouse. I have missed you, as you well know. The coffee station looks awesome!

suz said...

It's so nice to hear from you again and to know that you and your family are alright. So sorry to hear about your pets though. We lost our older cat last year and I still deeply miss her, so I understand. The coffee station is great and I love the albums - what a wonderful idea. Hope to hear from you again soon.

Glenda in Florida said...

I feel like I've just had a visit with an old friend. I'm so glad that you posted--I've thought of you often, and click on your link at least once a week. If I had to summarize what I think you are saying, it is that you are at peace with you life,and enjoying it--which is a great accomplishment for any of us. I've enjoyed your blog for years--it reminds me of three wonderful years that I spent in Hawaii, and I wonder if our paths ever crossed,perhaps at a craft show. Thank your for your contributions to the blog world, and for your generous tutorials.

JG said...

A cup of delicious hot coffee is the best way to start the day! It's always good to stop and decide what you really want to work on. Enjoy it!
~Judy

hyvana said...

Estou encantada pelo seu trabalho, seu blog e lindo, um beijo e Jesus te ilunime sempre.

Vernie and Tony said...

Hi Lettie,
I checked for new posts from you for so long and now I see why you were gone. My prayers are with you. Losing a pet you love is just like losing a member of the family (because they are) So glad your back and OK. You have been greatly missed!

Lany Meireles said...

Hola querida,

¡Feliz año 2013!

Besos,
Lany

Lily Petkova said...

Hello Lettie,
I also missed you this year and wondered are you OK. I really love coming from time to time to your tuts and read them again and again. Honestly speaking, I did myself a lot of your projects and they are super cute.
Sorry for your loss, it is hard to lose someone you love! But i think that the good days are ahead of you. I love your albums, in fact I also planned to make some albums on different topics for me and my family.
I wish you a very Happy and prosperous New 2013 year! Let the inspiration be with you! Never lose your smile!
God bless you!
Lily

Unknown said...

Me gusta la organizacion en todos los lados asi encobtramos todo en su sitio,tus nascotas son preciosas.Te dejo mi blog por si te quieres pasar.

http://cosasdecosturadecarmele.blogspot.com

besos y abrazos desde el norte de Africa en concreto Melilla.España.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am from Viet Nam, i very love your blog. It so nice.
Nice to know you.
Quyen

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am from Viet Nam, i very love your blog. It so nice.
Nice to know you.
Quyen

Vegan said...

I'm so sorry about Chirpy and Mouse! (((hugs)))

vernagrace said...

This is the first time I visited your blog, and I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed it, and am sorry you no longer add to it. I also must say I am sorry for your losses and hope you are healing and enjoying life once again.

You are a very talented lady and thank you for sharing all those years.

Unknown said...

Dearest Lettie, I haven't been keeping up with blog reading at all, and like you have taken to enjoying all the little things in our lives (such as a good glass of southern sweet tea!). Keeping up a weblog is very time consuming, and you certainly made your mark with all the wonderful tutorials you graciously gave us. I am extremely grateful for your God-given talents and the time you devoted to them, they have added to my abilities greatly!

Our family has suffered through the loss of both of our kitties, and two of our little Shih Tzu have each lost an eye since Christmas 2012. Your little "boy" Marlee looks just the ticket to pick up your spirits when you feel sadness for Mouse and Chirpy.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

You haven't posted in a long, long time, so I hope that what you're happy busy and not something else.

I found your blog while searching for pin cushions to share. And you have the most amazing tutorials. Thank you! I have linked them to a post at mine. If you see this, know that another crafter is wishing you as much happiness and health as is possible. Aloha

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.