Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Rested and Ready!

Hi, everyone! Sorry for the long absence. This was my first really lengthy departure from blogging and I needed it more than you could imagine.

I spent most of January cleaning my craft room and reorganizing it and trying to get my creative mojo back. The newly organized space invigorated me and brought me out of my funk.

It is interesting the things that you find once you start moving furniture around. I found this partly made felt donut pincushion this morning. I make so many things that when one goes missing, I don't even realize it.

Just look at those dust bunnies clinging on for dear life.


Just in case you were wondering, the donut is supposed to look like this in it's completed state.


I have always wanted to start mixed media art journaling, so I spent most of my free time doing just that. If you aren't familiar with art journaling, do a quick search on YouTube and you too may be inspired to start a journal of your own. Art journaling is very much a personal journey since it is basically an illustrated diary. There are no limitations, therefore, it is very enjoyable. It gives you the creative license to lay down your feelings in a medium that can be combined with words. I am a beginner, a newbie to this art form, but I am truly enjoying the journey.



It was smooth sailing into February until I got my hands on this piece.


I know that it doesn't look like much in it's current state, but trust me when I say that it is going to be the piece de resistance of my craft room. I am so excited at the prospect of having 40 drawers to use for organizing my craft supplies. Needless to say, my craft room is once again a disaster zone as everything is being shifted around in order to make room for the new kid on the block.

These types of drawer systems were once used by schools as mailboxes for teachers. The office personnel would place the perspective teachers items into the drawers from the open back that faced the inside of the office. The teachers would open the drawers from the front and remove their items. I am unsure if these kinds of systems are still in use today, but they were standard fare during my school years.



I purchased this piece through a private seller. I have no idea of it's entire history but it is old, I can tell that much. The current paint job is a mess and it was let to fall into disrepair. Approximately a third of the drawers need fixing. It is in my garage until the repair work can be done and a brand new paint job can be applied. Until then, my craft room will remain upside down and virtually most of my free time will be spent in the garage.

I will admit that during my absence I did have thoughts of closing my blog. Several years of anything can lead you to stop and reevaluate what you are doing. Because creating is such an integral part of who I am, and also wanting to leave a part of me behind for my family, the blogging will go on.

Thank you to all that have been concerned about me and my lack of posting. I am fine. Even though it is often left unsaid, thank you from the bottom of my heart for the kindness that you have shown me over the years. You are my true creative inspiration and I am very blessed to have you all in my life.

Have an awesome day, everyone!

Aloha!

34 comments:

Brenda is SO Blessed said...

oh I am so glad you came back. I have missed you LOL (not a crazy stalker I promise) . I love seeing what you will come up with next.

AverettLadyNana said...

Missed you!!! Glad you are back blogging. That donut pincushion looks good enough to eat!!!

I haven't been blogging much either. Not much time. And camera on the fritz...going to get me a new one before very long.

Quiltjane said...

Good to see you back. I think you have the most wonderful ideas and tutorials.

Needled Mom said...

So glad to have you back. I love all of your inspiration.

JG said...

Really nice to read your new post tonight!
~Judy

rozhearts said...

Welcome back. I too have missed you but so glad that you have had a great break. I think we all need to re-ajust occassionally.
I also want to thank you for your great tutorials. I have recently finished my Faux Christmas wreath. I loved it when I first saw your tutorial and started straight away. However it took me a year to do all the leaves but it was worth it I love my wreath.
I have also used your pincushion pattern to make a few to send to the quilters giuld to help those sewers that were affected by our recent devastating floods.
So again thank you and I do so love reading your blog.
(((HUGS))) Roz.
p.s. I have put a photo on my blog.

Vegan said...

From a selfish perspective, I'm so glad you're back to blogging!!!

Take all the time you need, whenever you need it. We all need breaks sometimes, and we all need to re-assess sometimes. And sometimes, we need to make changes. You obviously put a lot of work into your blog, and when or if it's not working out any more, I'll miss it, but hope that you've found something that makes you just as happy!

Inma said...

Thanks for your beautiful words. I'm very happy that you will continue with this wonderful blog!!

Unknown said...

I believe you are one of the most creative people I have ever experienced. I truly appreciate your wonderful creativity and the generosity in which you share it. Thanks so much. K.K.

Rumi said...

Glad you have been invigorated by your break. I think we all need one every now and again.
That piece of furniture is indeed a great find! It will be wonderful for your craft room.

Kim said...

your journal pages are gorgeous!

tich said...

Glad you are back. I really missed you!

SG said...

It's good to have you back!

Jackie said...

I just recently discovered your blog and love it! Your tutorials are wonderful and easy to follow! I'm glad you decided to continue - thanks for all you do!

Lisle said...

Like everyone else, I'm so glad you're back! And I'm glad that your hiatus was good for you.

Janine said...

Hello Lettie,
so good to have you back.
I missed your cool ideas your helpfull tutorials and first of all your sweet and warm personsality that shines through your posts.
You are full of new ideas. Your journal pages look beautiful.
Have a great creative day
Janine

Glenda in Florida said...

I'm so glad that you did not close the blog. I still checked almost every day, waiting to see another post. I love your tutorials, and appreciate your sharing them with us.

Talin's Corner said...

Welcome back! What a great find, cant't wait to see it when it is all fixed and painted.

Otthon Művek said...

Hi Lettie,
I just found your blog, really, a few minutes ago, by your tutorial of T-shirt yarn. Thank you so much! I used to crochet several things from T-shirt yarn, but I make that yarn a very difficult and boring way!!! Thank you once again, and I promise to learn your other posts as well, and see in every now and then.
Adél from Hungary

Vernie and Tony said...

I too have missed reading your blog! Pleeeeease don't ever stop your blog! It is so inspiring and you are truly a creative person that I look to for new ideas. Being creative and doing things with my hands is so therapeutic and you are a GREAT Theripist!!

Thanks

Ldybg93 said...

A search for wire-edged fabric flowers (a craft I remember my mother doing back in the 70's!) brought me to your blog...lovely projects keep me coming back for more. Thank you for taking the time to share your ideas and creations. I think your blog is just great!

omashee aka Barb said...

So glad you're back Lettie! You've been missed!
Oh la, how lucky you are to have found the old school mailboxes. I'd give my eye teeth to have one in my sewing room. Can't wait to see it finished & in use.

Tolentreasures said...

So glad that you are back. Sometimes you just need a break and glad that you could get it and experience a new venture.

Cathy

Mannick...91 said...

Lettie, glad to see you on the blogosphere ... especially after the title of your post by January ...
Welcome back and good luck
Annick

suz said...

It's nice to hear from you again and I'm glad all is well. Sometimes a gal just needs to take a breather! Good luck with that new piece of furniture!

Emily said...

Hey! you are back!

peggyann said...

me too, glad you are not giving up your blog. Altho the thought has crossed my mind too. I love your creativity, and have used several ideas and tutorials.

going to do the t-shirt yarn next!

Colleen MacKinnon; Penny Rugs and More said...

Nothing like a break and some time spent sorting and cleaning. It's good for your soul. I really love your new drawer set Lettie. Can't wait to see it finished and set up. I hope you share. I enjoy your blog. Haven't visited for a while...I've been absent too. I still have the best organized makeup, all thanks to you! My mechanics chest serves me well! Enjoy life as you go thru it Lettie. Cheers, Collen

sweetiepie said...

Lettie, I am so glad you decided to continue blogging. I sure would miss you if you quit.

I am just now finding this post as I have spent most of February in the hospital with pneumonia.

Take care my friend.

Annieofbluegables said...

Oh Lettie, I'm so glad you opted to continue the blog. I love seeing what you are up to next.
I've taken a long break from blogging as well, but still (sort of) keep up with some of my favorites (you are one of those).
I'd LOVE to get my hands on one of those wonderful set of drawers. YIKES how fun for you
~a

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!!!! I love you things!
I have a gift for you in my blog. I hope you like!!!

dinainspiracoes.blogspot.com

Joy Burkhart said...

I love your blog! I've awarded you the One Lovely Blog Award. Please go to http://tomorrowsmemorieskjlb.blogspot.com/2011/03/one-lovely-blog-award.html to accept and see more details.
XoXoXo
Joy

Unknown said...

I just discovered you today. I came from www.favecrafts.com for your t-shirt yarn. Brilliant!!
Your blog is like a warm Hawaiian breeze here in cold, wet and rainy New England.
Aloha!

Carmen said...

HI LETTY, I'M CARMEN. I ALSO JUST DISCOVERED YOUR BLOG AND I LOOOVE IT.
I ALSO LOVE ALL KINDS OF PIN CUSHIONS AND YOURS ARE BEAUTIFUL. I VISITED YOUR OTHER SITE "MY PINCUSHION AND I" I MADE YOUR HANDY DANDY PINCUHION
AND I JUST LOVE IT BECAUSE IT IS SO HANDY AND CUTE. YOU CAN VISIT ME AT "MY COUNTRY TOUCH" I ALSO HAVE A FEW PINCUSHIONS.
GOD BLESS YOU. FROM PUERTO RICO