Sunday, November 8, 2009

Fabric Therapy

Hello everyone! Thank you very much for your get well wishes and prayers. James and I appreciate it very much. He is doing as well as can be expected at this juncture and has made it out of the NICU to a regular room on the nursing floor. We are hoping that he will be well enough to fly home to Hawaii on Sunday. For those that are asking, we are in Raleigh and he had his surgery done at Wake Medical Center. It is a very nice facility staffed with many warm and caring people.

I had high hopes of sneaking in a trip to a quilt shop for some fabric therapy prior to James' surgery. Theres nothing like fondling fabric to ease anxiety. After locating several quilt shops on the internet and reading their online reviews, I knew which one I would visit if the opportunity arose. Believe it or not, I have never had the opportunity to visit a traditional quilt shop before. Most of the fabric outlets that I go to in Hawaii are in warehouses.

It was a beautiful drive to Wake Forest where Quilts Like Crazy is located. And what a lovely shop it was, filled with oodles and oodles of eye candy! I probably spent a good hour there while James waited patiently. From the moment that I walked through the door to the time that I left, both Karen and Betsy made me feel right at home. My adrenaline was running overtime because I was truly in my element, surrounded by some of my favorite things.

Due to airline baggage weight restrictions, I was careful not to overdo my purchases but I did walk away with many beautiful pieces of fabric.

I found four scrumptious fat quarter bundles that I loved.


These fabrics in muted shades of pinks, browns, and light turquoise were so pretty that I just had to have them.


A wonderful selection of Mary Engelbreit fabrics in pinks, yellows, and reds. I tried to keep my cool but inside I was squealing with delight. I love the whimsy of her fabrics.


The rich greens, browns and pinks of these fabrics are truly scrumptious.


And to top it all off, a couple of handbag patterns along with a few more Mary Engelbreit fat quarters. I just couldn't resist!


I should be here for another week as long as everything goes well. I do have pictures downloaded for a tutorial but will need to find the time to write it up. Hopefully, I'll have it ready before I leave North Carolina at the end of this week.

By the way, there is definitely something to be said about southern hospitality. To all those that we have encountered, from doctors and their staff to everyday people that we have met, thank you for your kindness and warmth. Y'all are just downright nice and have made our situation much more bearable.

Thanks again, everyone, for your prayers and support. I hope you're having a wonderful weekend.

Aloha from North Carolina!


Quilts Like Crazy
1241-08 S. Main St.
Wake Forest, N. Carolina 27587

18 comments:

Kristin said...

OMG, Lettie...you are less than half an hour from my house! I live in Cary which is right on the southern edge of Raleigh. Can I please bring you some cookies or other goodies?

Thearica said...

Hi Lettie! I am a longarm quilter located 30 minutes north of Wake Forest. If you need some quilting buddies to hang with one day, my friend Marie and I could come and do lunch with you one day this week! (we love Olive Garden!) Or you are more than welcome to visit us here in my home and I will make lunch for you. You will find my email through the link to my website on the sidebar of my blog. Just let me know.

Hope your hubby gets well soon!

Kristin said...

I emailed you my phone number if you get a moment to breathe. Hoping and praying everything goes smoothly for your husband.

ytsmom said...

Wishing you and yours all the best.

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

So happy to hear that James is doing well thus far. It must be a hge challenge.

The Mary Engelbreit fabric is a dream...Take care.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Thanks for letting us know that things are going well for you. Hang in there.

The Coley's said...

Welcome to the great state of NC! I wish you could be visiting under better circumstances... Hope all is well with your hubby! My DH and I went to school in Raleigh and now live an hour and a half or so west of there (I used to live in Cary where another blogger mentioned). Hope you enjoy our beautiful state (although I am sure it's totally different compared to what you are used to) and have a safe trip back!

Rumi said...

So glad your hubby is recovering nicely. Yes, fabric shopping is a real stress reliever! You found some wonderful fabrics.

Fran said...

Glad to see you are sounding happier. Hope the remaining time there goes well.
Fran x
PS I made 12 of your tissue pockets at the weekend for Christmas presents, so delighted with them all xx

JG said...

Glad things are going well!
Take care.

Janine said...

I am so glad to hear, that the surgery went well.
You must feel much better now, and that is what your post shows. It´s so full of optimism. Unbelievable that you never have been in a quilt shop before.
I can imagine how you felt.
It must have been like in Ali Babas treasure- cave.
Have a good week my friend.
All the best to you and your husband
Janine

sweetiepie said...

Lettie, I am so happy to hear that your dear hubbie is doing well. I am keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Your fabric choices are just devine. You always know how to coordinate fabics so well. I hope you get to see many more quilt shops before you go back to Hawaii.

Take care.

Wacky Woman said...

Oh you do sound better Lettie. I'm so glad to hear things are improving. Lovely selection of fabric.

Stephanie D said...

Love the way you're already slingin' those "y'all"s around! lol You're such a quick study.

Glad everything's going well, and I hope you're getting some rest!

Kim D. said...

I'm glad your dh is doing well after the surgery. Looks like you enjoyed fabric shopping at a real quilt store and just what the Dr. ordered. :)

Suze said...

Glad to hear your hubby's doing better. Love all that fabric! What great finds!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Love that pink/green/brown fabric. Glad you're getting a taste of our southern hospitality. But even gladder that James is doing well. God bless you both.

suz said...

Glad to hear that your husband is doing better. We'll continue to keep him in our prayers.